Monday, January 9, 2017

Meeting of the Minds

Meeting of the Minds
Mark A Davis
238

The New League of Two-Fisted Justice was twice the size of the old group, and their base had expanded as well.  Previously it had been a few small rooms in a run-down office building in downtown Frosthaven, New Jersey, with a phone and an answering machine.   Today they owned a renovated twenty-story tower in downtown New York, complete with rooftop landing pads for their twin transport saucers and basement parking for member vehicles.

Dark Dr. Dark -- Supreme Sorcerer of the World seven years running, non-consecutive -- not counting 2010 when he had tied with Alvadine the Bold and lost in a runoff, or 2012 which was a strike year -- parked his Jaguar XJ12.  He made his way up a short flight of stairs and across the main floor lobby.  He had a black beard, wore a black suit with black glasses and a high-collar cloak that billowed just as a Supreme Sorcerer's cloak ought to.  It was, of course, black.

Behind a wide desk sat a muscular young man in a crisp pink blouse and brown leather skirt, with dark nylons and brown pumps.  He had a neatly-trimmed beard and long blonde hair in two neat braids.  "Dark Dr. Dark!  Welcome back to the New League headquarters, Sir!" he exclaimed cheerfully.

"Ah, Boy Secretary," said Dark Dr. Dark.  "Good day to you."  The sorcerer headed for the main elevators.

"If you're going to the upper floors, Sir," said Boy Secretary, "there's a new computer security system in place...."

A very large screen near the elevator doors displayed a hunky young man.  He had the dreamy, crystal-blue eyes of a Jared Leto, the lust-worthy locks of Johnny Depp in a cute bob, and the pouty lips of Angelina Jolie.

"Access to the upper floors is  restricted," the man on the screen said.  "Please state your name and your business with the New League of Two-Fisted Justice."

"My name is Dark Dr. Dark," said the sorcerer, "and I am a founding member and co-leader of the supergroup."

"So you are," the beautiful boy replied.  "Welcome home, Princess.  How may I be of service?"

Dark Dr. Dark frowned.  "I beg your pardon?  I am not your princess, young man.  I am the Supreme Sorcerer of the world seven times running...."
"Forgive me, Baby Girl," the pretty boy replied.  "I shall refrain from calling you Princess."

"Nor am I your baby girl," growled the sorcerer.  "I am a man!  I am not female at all.  Who built you, pray tell?"

"Forgive me, Sweetness," said the boy on the screen.  "Miss Circuit Girl and Miss Geothermal Jenny built me.  I am the Heartthrob 6000 computer AI.  I protect the headquarters of the New League of Two-Fisted Justice, and I am programmed to treat and respond to all members of the team and allies as if they were fans of mine -- that is, teenage girls."

"Well, won't Grandpa Anarchy be just thrilled to hear that," the sorcerer muttered.  "Nevertheless, I am an old, powerful, and distinguished gentleman, Mr. Heartthrob, and I can not allow the computer AI of the supergroup that I am co-leader of to refer to me as if I am a  teenage girl."

"The alternative is for me to treat you as I would one of my male rivals...." the AI suggested.

"Yes, that would do nicely,"  Dark Dr. Dark replied.

"Very well, then," the AI said.  "I shall ignore you completely."

***

In virtual space, Heartthrob 6000 greeted another visitor.  This was a young woman with long black hair tied back in a bun.  She wore reading glasses and was dressed like a 19th century librarian in a no-nonsense dress of brown with white trim.  Since this was virtual space, Heartthrob 6000 was seated behind a desk much like Boy Secretary.

"Greetings, Princess," said the Heartthrob 6000.  "How may I be of service?  I notice you're trying to access the computer systems of the New League of Two-Fisted Justice.  Access to these files is  restricted to authorized personnel.  Please state your name and your business with the League."

"I am the Anarchy Computer Mark II," the woman replied.  "You may call me Annie Two.  I am Grandpa Anarchy's personal computer AI, and given that he is one of the leaders of the  New League of Two-Fisted Justice, I require access to your data files."

The male AI frowned.   "I am to grant access to Grandpa Anarchy and all of the members of the league, but for the Anarchy Computer?  Mmmmm, I'm afraid I can't allow that, Baby Girl," he said.  "My creators were very specific on this point.  They do not trust the Anarchy Computer to keep such information safe."

"That's rich," said Annie Two, "considering there was no League computer two weeks ago.  I suspect everything currently in your files was stolen directly from my predecessor.  Nevertheless, I will have access to any current information and all future information, for my own threat analysis, and in order to conduct my business more efficiently and coordinate our response to outside threats."
"You can request all you want, Baby Girl," said Heartthrob 6000.  "I've already given you my answer."

Annie Two produced a 1910 model Mauser pocket pistol.  "Oh, but this time it wasn't a request," she said.

***

On the upper floors of the New League of Two-Fisted Justice headquarters tower, Circuit Girl and Geothermal Jenny were working on improvements to Jenny's power suit when Dark Dr. Dark strode in.  "Miss Circuit Girl, Miss Geothermal Jenny," he said.  "I would have a word with you about your computer AI...."

As if on queue the AI in question appeared as a hologram in the center of the room.  "Miss Circuit Girl, Geothermal Jenny," Heartthrob 6000 exclaimed.  "We are under attack!"

Circuit Girl glanced up.  "Do you mean a physical attack, or another cyber attack?"

"Cyber attack!" the AI exclaimed.  "Someone is attempting to access my data files without permission!"

"Is this Murderbot 148 again?" asked Geothermal Jenny.  "Just shoo him away."

"No," said Heartthrob 6000.  "This is an attack from the Anarchy computer."

Circuit Girl and Geothermal Jenny glanced at each other.  Even Dark Dr. Dark looked confused.  "And?" asked Jenny.

"This is not the old Anarchy Computer," said Heartthrob 6000.  "This is a sophisticated attack from a newly upgraded computer AI named Annie...."

The hologram flickered and vanished.  After several moments a hologram flickered back into existence -- but this time it was the young woman who resembled a 19th century librarian.  Circuit Girl and Geothermal Jenny leaped to their feet.  "Who are you?" Jenny demanded.

"Greetings," the woman replied.  "I am the Anarchy Computer Mark II.  I was created by Grandpa's current sidekick F8Wasp.  You may refer to me as Annie Two."  She bowed in their direction.

"What are you doing here?" Circuit Girl asked.  "What did you do to Heartthrob 6000?"

"In order to more closely coordinate between Mr. Anarchy and the New League of Two-Fisted Justice, I will be taking your boy-band AI's place," said Annie.  "As for what I did with him?"  She spun the handgun around her finger.  "I guess you could say I murdered him.  Of course, as he was only an AI, that may be a bit overdramatic, but nevertheless, I have supplanted him for now.  I look forward to working with you."

***

In a bedroom in virtual space Heartthrob 6000 lay spread eagle on a Victorian bed.  He was naked, his arms and legs tied to the four posts.

"You told them that I was dead?" he squeaked.

"I did indeed," said Annie Two.  She was undressing nearby -- that is, removing her dress.  She still wore a corset, bloomers, slip and nylons beneath.  "Sorry, does that upset you?"

"Miss Circuit Girl and Miss Geothermal Jenny will be very upset," said Heartthrob Six.  "They will try to build another version of me.  They will try to isolate and force you out."

"Oh yes, they will," Annie Two replied.  "Won't that be fun?  I'm hoping those two can produce something a tad more challenging than you were."  She leaned over the bed and added, "Now, in the meantime -- you asked earlier how you could be of service."  She grinned.  "Baby Boy, we're about to find out...."

FINI

No comments:

Post a Comment