Friday, March 23, 2018

Magical March 14: Fairy Confection

Magical March 14
Fairy Confection
Mark A Davis
325

Claudia Dumitru opened her eyes and stared up at the ceiling.  It was morning.  Her body was bruised and sore, but her mind was racing.

The last twenty-four hours had been incredible.  Had it only been a dream?  It was like a dream.  She fumbled at her neck, and found the necklace was still there.  But what did that prove?  Quickly she grabbed her phone.  The photos were still there as well.

A talking ball of fur had appeared before her.  It had large brown eyes and rabbit ears, and its name was Sita.  It was a magical girl guide.  Soon after, Claudia had transformed into a magical girl.  Her!  She'd spun about and her clothing had changed into a fancy fairy outfit, just like Tinker Bell or a girl in a Brian Froud illustration.  She'd had a blue dress with a flower-like skirt, and wings like those of an insect.  She'd flown so high!

Claudia had asked about that, too -- she was a bit large for a winged fairy, or so it seemed.  But Sita had only scoffed and said that no girl could really fly with such ridiculous wings, it was only accomplished by magic so requiring that fairies be anorexic was hogwash.

Sita seemed a very forthright guide, who spoke her mind.

The fight with the giant centipede had been extremely tough -- she'd barely won.  She was still sore and bruised from the blows she'd absorbed.  But it had been the most exciting thing she'd ever done!

She dressed quickly and bounced down the stairs and into the kitchen.  She found Sita floating over the breakfast table.

"Sita?" she asked.  She still wasn't sure what her guide actually was.  Sita was an emoji come to life.

"Good morning Claudia," said Sita.  "Or should I say, good morning Fairy Princess Bluebell.  How are you today?"

"Sore," said Claudia, "but I feel good."

"I am glad to hear it," Sita replied.  "Please sit down.  I have something of great importance to discuss."

Confused and nervous, Claudia sat. 

"The enemies you are facing come from a realm known as the Dark Realm," said Sita, "or the Kingdom of Penumbra.  It is a fairy realm ruled by an enemy known as the Dark Adversary.  I really know little more than this; quite frankly I'm getting all of this information second-hand from a source I don't trust, so take everything with a grain of salt.  But I was warned that they would appear, and so they have.  The battle was quite difficult, and this was only a scout.  You will no doubt face more dangerous foes soon."

Claudia swallowed.  "I barely beat that thing..." she said.

  "Which brings me to this," Sita said.  She gestured and a yellow ball appeared, about the size of a baseball.  On it was written something in a script which Claudia could not read.  Claudia got the distinct impression that Sita had removed the ball from some shoulder bag and placed it on the table -- but surely the guide had no hands, let alone a shoulder from which to sling a bag?

"What's this?" she asked.

"This was given to me by that same untrustworthy source," said Sita.  "Apparently I was expected to press it into your forehead.  It would dissolve and melt into you, and thereafter you would dream of a time long past -- a time that, quite frankly, never existed.  You would dream that some of your ancesters were fairy folk that escaped from this Dark Realm, and that you are descended from them and have fairy blood."

Claudia frowned.  "Except... I don't?"

"Right now I am quite certain that you don't," Sita said.  "After you use this dream pill?  Who knows?  We are dealing with a very powerful, near-godlike being.  She is capable of rewriting your history, of that I have no doubt.

"However, that is neither here nor there.  Whether or not the dreams ultimately prove to be real -- or become real retroactively -- you would gain knowledge and powers to aid you in the battle of these enemies."

Claudia stared at the yellow ball.  "This thing will make me stronger?"

"Yes, as I said," replied Sita.

"It's not dangerous, is it?" asked Claudia.

"Not that I am aware of, no," Sita replied.

"So..." said Claudia after a moment, "just so I'm clear, you could have just used this without my knowledge, pressed it into me as I slept, and I would dream I was of fairy blood, and to me it would all seem real?  I would never know that you'd planted those dreams?"

"That is correct, yes."  The ball of fur continued to bob in the air, entirely inscrutable.

"Why didn't you just do that?" asked Claudia.

"I wanted the choice to be yours," Sita said.

"You were afraid of the consequences, it seems to me," Claudia replied.  "You didn't want the responsibility."

"I did not wish to do anything that might alter you without your consent," Sita said.  There was a slight edge to her voice.

Claudia nodded.  "Okay then," she said.  "I understand.  But if I have to fight more of these things -- tougher ones -- then I'm going to need every advantage I can get...."

Claudia's brother Dorin bounced into the room.  "Oh, hey!" he exclaimed.  "Is that some kind of cookie?"  Before anyone could stop him he'd snatched up the ball and popped it in his mouth.  He chewed and swallowed.

"Wow, it just melts away," he said.  Then he made a face.  Blech!  Tastes terrible!"

FINI

No comments:

Post a Comment